You can help prevent flooding in your neighborhood by following the tips below. A little effort goes a long way!
- Clear debris from storm drains near your home.
- Do not block water flow by dumping trash or yard debris into streams, wetlands, or drainage ditches.
- Leave natural vegetation on steep slopes and along streams and lakes.
- If you own a sump pump, test it before a storm.
- Clean your gutters, downspouts, and cleanouts at least twice a year.
- Know that standard property insurance doesn’t cover flood damage. Ask your agent about flood insurance, which is available even if you don’t live in a flood plain.
- Call Utilities at 425-452-7869 to find out if your property is in a floodplain.
- Call 911 for emergencies. Call Utilities at 425-452-7840 if your home is in danger of flooding.
Go to bellevuewa.gov/BeFloodReady to get more flood protection information.